About Us

818 E 6th Ave, Winfield, KS 67156

outreachUnder the direction of Pastor Brock Brown, Second Baptist Church exists to bring glory to God by making disciples through gospel-centered worship, study, fellowship, and service. Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we strive to love our neighbors as ourselves, sharing the great joy and comfort we receive from the teachings of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Second Baptist Church History

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is but ‘exhorting one another’, and so much the more as ye see the Day approaching.  Hebrews 10:25

The Second Baptist Church was founded in 1885 in the home of Hariett Schaffer.  Sisters and brethren; (formerly worshippers at First Baptist Church) H.T. Wright, Pastor, John Wilson, John Taylor, M.E. McKelly, Harriet Ann Schaffer, Henry Schaffer, Lucy Pero, Maria Taylor, Belle Wilson, John Nichols and Lucy Nichols.

Through the proper instruments required by the state laws of Kansas the aforesaid group was given organization and association to cooperate for religious worship under the rules of the Baptist Church.

The Baptist is properly defined as those who hold that the Baptism of Christian believers is of universal obligation and practice accordingly.  Because they acknowledge no master but Christ;  no rule of faith but His word; no baptism but that which is preceded and hallowed by personal piety.  No church but that which is the Body of Christ, pervaded, governed and animated by His Spirit; recognizing no creed but Christ, no law but love, no book but the Bible!

The Charter was issued August 6, 1886.  Two lots were purchased at the corner of 16th and Main for $1,500.00.  A frame building was finished and worship began in it in the spring of 1887.

Our Christian friends, members of the First Baptist Church, assisted us for several years.  In fact the entire city of Winfield supported our every need with hearts full of love and support.

The church continued to worship at 16th and Main until 2002 when an opportunity arose to purchase two more lots to the south of the church.  With this acquisition we were able to accept an offer from Home National Bank allowing us to acquire a new church home.  Members viewed this facility and voted to purchase it, after the sale of the former location.  There were many gifts and sacrifices made to allow the privilege of a new church home, again the community came to our aid.

We express our great thanks to God, “The Lord had done great things for us whereof we are glad” Psalms 126:3